Changing your external environment helps you shift your mindset and your life. When you are in a new environment, like when you are traveling , your focus shifts to experiencing and noticing all of the new things around you. While I was in San Diego recently, I was captivated by the ocean, the birds, the seals and even the squirrels. Looking at these things I felt tremendous gratitude and joy. I could not look away. I was so engrossed in the scenery that I could not think of anything else. Being in this environment completely cleared my head.
Here’s the thing…you don’t need to get on a plane or travel to some distant or exotic place (although that’s fun to do) to clear your head. Try one of these ideas for gaining a fresh perspective, clearing your mind and shifting your life:
- Visit a new place (state park, store, friend’s house)
- Take a different route to work
- See a new play or movie
- Eat at a different restaurant
- Spend time with a child…they see things as fresh and new
- Watch animals at the zoo or in nature
- Drive on a road you’ve never used before
- Take a different walking path
- Walk the opposite direction around the lake than usual
Get out of your head by changing your external environment. This leads to appreciation/gratitude and more joy on your life’s path to Finding Your Fiji.
Check out my first video from my San Diego trip here!